ResMed celebrates its 30th anniversary!
This year, ResMed celebrates 30-years of medical innovation. As a world-leading connected-health company, we now serve millions of people in more than 120-countries worldwide who have sleep apnoea, COPD, and other chronic diseases.
ResMed was founded on May 29, 1989, to treat sleep apnoea by commercialising the world’s first Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine. Today, CPAP remains the gold standard treatment for a condition that is believed to impact nearly 1-billion people around the globe, including and estimated 8-million people in the UK1].
We remain a world-leading innovator in sleep apnoea therapy, with the world’s first line of 100% cloud-connectable devices including the world’s smallest CPAP machine2, the AirMini, and more than two dozen masks to choose from.
In the past decade, we have transformed into a digital health trailblazer, creating a secure program for remotely monitoring more than 10 million CPAP and ventilator users worldwide, and enabling more than 1.8 million CPAP users to track their own therapy on their smartphone or desktop app. Remote and self-monitoring are both clinically shown to significantly improve CPAP therapy adherence, which, in turn, helps prevent nightly apnoeas and lower both the short- and long-term health risks associated with the disease.
Some ResMed facts:
- ResMed was founded 30-years ago under the name ResCare, but changed to ResMed (short for “respiratory medicine”) in 1995
- The 1990s were about making CPAP more comfortable for people with sleep apnoea. Our first pre-assembled nasal mask (“Bubble Cushion”), first pass-over humidifier and first automatic PAP device combined to deliver warm air with a great seal at lower pressures
- In 2008, we launched the world’s first CPAP mask designed for women.
- In August 2014, we launched the world’s first 100% cloud-connectable line of CPAP devices
- In 2014, we launched the world’s first PAP device designed to treat female-specific symptoms of mild and moderate sleep apnoea
- On April 25, 2017, we introduced the world’s smallest CPAP machine2, AirMini.
- ResMed now employs more than 7,000 people
- We market our products in 120+ countries
- We have more than 9-million 100% cloud-connectable devices around the world treating patients with sleep apnoea, COPD, and other chronic conditions.
- Our strategic goal is to improve 250-million lives in out-of-hospital care in 2025 as we continue to empower people to live healthier, happier, higher quality lives in the comfort of their own home.
This blog post contains general information about medical conditions and treatments. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information is not advice, and should not be treated as such. You must not rely on the information on this website as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.
If you have any specific questions about any medical matter, you should consult your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. If you think you may be suffering from any medical condition, you should seek immediate medical attention. You should never delay seeking medical advice, disregard medical advice, or discontinue medical treatment because of information on this website. The views expressed on this blog and website have no relation to those of any academic, hospital, practice, or other institution with which the authors are affiliated and do not directly reflect the views of ResMed or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates.